Please Subscribe to get a daily link to Pat's blog via email

Subscribe!

Your privacy is important to us. We will never spam you and keep your personal data secure.

Final Thoughts From My First Two Visits To Moffit Cancer Center In Tampa, Florida

Home/Uncategorized/Final Thoughts From My First Two Visits To Moffit Cancer Center In Tampa, Florida

Final Thoughts From My First Two Visits To Moffit Cancer Center In Tampa, Florida

I left my first visit to Moffitt feeling positive.  As our appointment ended, Dr. Alsina suggested I return one week later for blood and urine tests–and a full body bone survey.  Pattie and I felt this was a good idea, since it had been several months since my last M-spike, and several years since anyone had run a urine analysis.  We all agreed the bone survey was also important to give Dr. Alsina a benchmark for future reference.

I returned the following week–last Friday for my tests.  It was nice knowing my way around.  Each test was on time and handled professionally.  The x-ray lab was state of the art–all digital.  I was in and out in one half hour.

So far my new insurance (Pattie’s Cigna insurance from her work) seems to be working just fine.  I don’t expect any surprises from my test results.  If there are any, I will share them with you later this next week.

A few more thoughts about when and if to proceed to SCT:  I can understand the wisdom in going to SCT sooner rather than later.  Heading off my creeping peripheral neuropathy (PN) is certainly something to consider.  But Pattie and I are still leaning toward our original plan–avoid SCT until absolutely necessary.  So although my resolve is wavering, if and when my M-spike becomes measurable again (which could be any time now) I think I will try increasing my dose and frequency of Revlimid, first–then possibly adding dex–or going right to Velcade and/or Velcade and dex.  I did check with a friend at Millennium over the weekend and she shared with me that she believes, based on current data, PN  among Velcade users has been over-hyped.  Even if it is true that 20-30% of patients using Velcade suffer measurable PN, maybe I would be one of the other 70%.  Worth a try!  If my PN gets worse, I can always stop and go directly to SCT.

One advantage of trying Velcade before I go to SCT–since novel therapy agents which lose their effectiveness prior to transplant often are again effective afterwards, I could theoretically buy myself extra months or years of time by using Velcade first–assuming it works, of course.

Feel good and keep smiling, good friends–and thanks for listening!  Pat